the OOP heard around the world
If you see a post reblogged here that you take issue with, please come to ME about it, and don't hassle the OP in any way shape or form.
I am a white, autistic, pansexual, trans* person from MD, trying to get an art career started.
|Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr // he/him/his|
This is my personal blog :) I reblog art, discussions on racism and gender identity, doctor who, supernatural, Merlin, and some other random shows I like, funnies, pretty things and cool people.
I queue most of the not super important mostlyforfun stuff.
ok so the other day i was just fooling around the internet and watching steven universe and i noticed that
Amethyst’s color scheme is the same as the asexual flag
and Pearl’s color scheme is the same as the trans flag
And i don’t know if this means anything or whatever but idk that’s kinda cool
reblog this post i want cishets to get angry
this is making cishets and allies angry keep reblogging it
Hello! I’ve set up a shop at radiumpool@storenvy! These are my leftovers from cons that are now available online. For other prints, I will have them restocked soon. But atm, I’m still setting up more prints for online purchasing. :)
I’m going to admit that I really struggle with action scenes. Or struggled, depending on what my publisher says about the myriad of actions scenes I have sprinkled throughout the sequel to When Stars Die.
My publisher really had to tear up the one action chapter I had in the climax of When Stars Die. Amelia spent too much time personally reflecting on things while fighting a ruthless Shadowman (dead witch), trying to kill her so she can’t stop him from getting revenge on the people who murdered him— people who kill witches in the first place. This will not contain any spoilers to When Stars Die. The chapter was originally nine pages. Now it is six.
- Try to minimize character introspection, or try not to use it at all. Your characters are fighting to survive, so they should only concentrate on the immediate action going on around them. They’re not exactly going to concentrate on the human condition of the reason that they’re fighting, which is what I originally did when Amelia was fighting Sash.
- Try to keep sentences short and paragraphs short. Action scenes are fast paced. Wordy sentences and lengthy paragraphs can slow the pacing.
- Keep dialogue interactions short. This is all about the action, the exposition, the immediacy of what is going on around the characters. Within the first two pages of the chapter involving the fight between Sash and Amelia, I had one part where the dialogue was too drawn out, so I trimmed down the dialogue, only concentrating on the most important points to lead up to the action. Lengthy dialogue can slow the pacing. Plus, realistically, you wouldn’t stop in the middle of a fight to start engaging in some conversation with your enemy.
- Quick reactions. If your protagonist’s options of surviving start to dwindle, force the protagonist to make a quick decision. Don’t spend even five sentences having your protagonist trying to plan out what to do. Realistically, your protagonist will not have that time.
- Physical movements. This goes back to concentrating on immediacy. Really concentrate on the physical actions taking place, like running, punching, kicking, whatever. Break it up with some dialogue, too. Anything to keep it interesting.
- Create unexpected consequences. This isn’t a spoiler, because everyone, when reading a genre book that includes action, expects some antagonists to die. But Amelia isn’t the one to kill Sash. In fact, she feels sorry for him and is very hesitant to do so.
Hopefully these points will help you write some effective action scenes. Here is a short paragraph from the chapter between Sash and Amelia from When Stars Die that conveys some of the elements above:
"I raise my hand and shove it in Sash’s face (there is fire on her palm). He screams and drops me on to the dirt. I scramble away, back toward Theosodore. The angry fire races beneath my skin, thirsting to be used again. I keep my attention on it, feeding my anger and channeling it into the heat (her skin is heated).”
I am going to do a blog post every other day on my Tumblr. My next blog post will concentrate on creating effective dialogue.
Re-blogs appreciated, especially if you know other writers who need this advice.
April 23 - On the day United States President Barack Obama is set to arrive in Japan on the first leg of his East Asia tour, activists under the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (New Patriotic Alliance) marched to the US embassy in Manila to denounce what they called the “US imperialist agenda in Asia”. The groups clashed with police who were guarding the US embassy. Police used a water cannon against the protesters.
“The US pivot to Asia combines military rebalancing and free trade agreements like the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement. The US seeks to maintain its dominance in the region by violating the national sovereignty and plundering the economies of their so-called ‘allies’. The people of Asia stand to gain nothing from the Obama visit and the US agenda he carries,” said Bayan secretary general Renato M. Reyes, Jr.
Bayan is coordinating with various anti-bases and anti-globalization groups in Japan, South Korea and the United States for a series of protests against the US pivot and the TPPA. Apart from the April 23 protest in Manila, anti-bases and anti-war groups in Japan such as the Asia-Wide Campaign are set to hold protests in time for the US-Japan Summit on April 24. Groups in South Korea are also expected to hold protests against US military bases in the Korean peninsula and the continued implementation of the US-Korea Free Trade Agreement and the promotion of the TPPA. Bayan-USA will join Japanese and Korean activists in the US for coordinated actions in the afternoon of April 25 in Los Angeles, Seattle, New York and San Francisco. Filipino migrants are expected to hold protest actions on April 27.
reblog and make a wish!
this was removed from tumbrl due to “violating one or more of Tumblr’s Community Guidelines”, but since my wish came true the first time, I’m putting it back. :)
OH MY FUCKING GOD, IT’S BACK ON MY DASH.
THIS SHIT WORKS OKAY, I AM DEAD SERIOUS.
The last time I saw this on my dash, I didn’t think it would happen, so jokingly I wished I could go to a fun. concert.
AND GUESS WHAT, I WENT TO A FUCKING FUN. CONCERT.
THIS SHIT WORKS, TRY IT.
yay its back.
I half jokingly reblogged this yesterday cos I thought it was a nice picture…
and was like oh wow I only get wishes on birthdays what would I wish for?!?!?! how about gainful employment L0L
… and like…
I have a job now? That I never applied for? That someone just called me up and said “here, have this”? In a place I really really like?
So like… h8ers gonna h8 or something
Are Millennials Sick and Tired of ‘Are Millennials’ News Titles?
"So what else do you do to the largest politicized tech savvy generation? You gaslight them, flood the media with news stories that victim blame us for our failures to not turn out to be good little capitalists. Lower our expectation so that $30,000 salaries begin to look good. Create movies and shows that shame young adults forced to move back with their parents because housing prices and wages are not aligned, what do you do other than to try to beat our confidence so that we numb ourselves with drugs, booze, sex, and mindless entertainment so we won’t connect the dots and put together that it’s the system that is fucked up–that capitalism is the crisis and it was the hippies turned yuppies that sold us out."
I see no lies though